Crisp air, piles of leaves, and football season…
Friends, the fall season is fast approaching.
As the warm weather begins to run the end of its course, colder nights will eventually set in.
Soon, we’ll start wanting to spend more time indoors where it’s warm. It only follows that pests, too, will want to stay warm along with us.
The fall season means increased activity; mice, cockroaches, and indoor spiders, all looking for warmth and a mate.
Not a big deal, as long as you don’t see them right?
The presence of pests are always a problem.
More specifically with these pests, they can pose both health risks to families and physical risks to the structure of your home. Here are a few examples:
- Rodents carry diseases like Salmonella, can damage drywall and often chew through electrical wires in a home.
- Cockroaches can trigger asthma and allergies, especially in children and seniors.
- Spiders, though typically not aggressive, find their ways into shoes, clothes, and bedrooms in search of food, warmth, and a mate.
Pests are gearing up for survival mode, laying eggs and finding food. They’re looking to find a new home and hunker down for the impending winter. Their ideal setup? Somewhere warm and near a food source.
Sure sounds a lot like your home, doesn’t it?
Don’t want pests this fall? Here are some pest-proofing tips and ideas:
- Check for immigrants; inspect grocery bags and boxes before you bring them inside.
- Repair any damaged screens.
- Install door sweeps and jams
- Store firewood far away from the house.
- Trim shrubbery at least 2 feet away from foundation.
- Replace any loose mortar around basement windows.
- Install weather stripping in all doors and windows.
- Make sure your garbage bags are in sealed bins and barrels.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of your home. Caulk will do just fine.
- Make sure all outdoor faucets are off and non-leaking.
- Make sure vents and screens near chimneys and attics aren’t broken or ripped.
You can do a lot to keep fall pests out, but sometimes the home still needs a professional touch.
Give a call to your local EDGE Service Specialist, we’ll make fall a breeze.
EDGE provides both residential and commercial services including: Pests, Lawn, Mosquitos, Rodents, Fleas & Bed Bugs.
Click HERE to talk to an EDGE expert today.
If you’d like to learn more about what EDGE does, click HERE.